We were treated to a fantastic weekend by our Junior Chamber Counterparts in Hannover. This is definitely one of the best events of the year and the German cliché of being well-organised proved both correct and very effective. It was a whirlwind couple of days with so much crammed in.
- a traditional German beer festival (the Marksman festival) held over two weeks with fairground rides, bar tents and lots of Luttje Lage – a traditional drink with a shot of beer and a shot of schnapps which are consumed together,
- being driven around in €160,000 Mercedes sports cars (curtesy of the organiser’s boss and various other friends who were kind enough to lend these for the weekend). Top speed on the autobahn 280km/h!
- a trip to a Hannoverian castle, where we learnt a lot about English history and put our President behind bars,
- a canoe (Kanu) trip down the river Leine, which cuts through the centre of the city. The impressive scenery sadly took a backseat to races, boat exchanges and a water fight where you couldn’t run away,
- a city tour followed by some of the best cake in Hannover, and
- watching Germany beat Italy on penalties with full VIP access at Hannover 96’s ground where we had the entire stadium (including players large hot tub and the press room) to ourselves.
Thank you so much to the Hannover Junior Chamber, especially Richard for organising. We look forward to welcoming our Hannoverian guest back next year before we return to them in 2018. This really is a must do event in your time as a BJC member!